What is National Friendship Day?
👫 National Friendship Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday of August. It was created to celebrate the joys and benefits of friendship. The day is also meant to promote the importance of friendships and to encourage people to be more friendly toward one another.
Origins of National Friendship Day
National Friendship Day was created by Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark Cards, in 1930. The day was originally known as “Friendship Day,” but the name was later changed to “National Friendship Day” to make it more inclusive.
How to celebrate this day
There are many ways to celebrate this holiday. Here are a few ideas:
- Reach out to old friends: Take some time to contact old friends that you haven’t talked to in a while. Send them a text, give them a call, or even send them a handwritten letter.
- Make new friends: If you’re feeling shy, there are plenty of ways to make new friends. Join a club or organization, go to social events, or even start up a conversation with someone you see every day but don’t know.
- Spend time with your friends: One of the best ways to celebrate National Friendship Day is to simply spend time with your friends. Plan a group outing, have a picnic, or just stay in and watch a movie together.
- Volunteer: Another great way to celebrate this day is to volunteer with a local organization. You can help out at a soup kitchen, visit a nursing home, or participate in a community clean-up day.
The importance of friendships
Friendships are important for many reasons. They can provide us with social support, boost our moods, and help us live longer and healthier lives. Friendships can also help us to cope with difficult life circumstances, such as illness, job loss, or divorce.
Quotes and sayings about Friendship
Fun activities to do with friends
- Go to the park: Spend some time outdoors with your friends. Play some games, have a picnic, or just take a leisurely stroll.
- Go out to eat: Treat your friends to a meal at their favorite restaurant.
- Go shopping: Spend some time bonding with your friends while you shop for new clothes, shoes, or makeup.
- Go to a concert: Check to see if any of your favorite bands are playing in town.
- Go to the movies: Head to the cinema with your friends to catch the latest blockbuster.
National Friendship Day is a great day to celebrate the joys and benefits of friendship. Take some time to reach out to old friends and make new ones. Spend time with your friends and do something fun together. And most importantly, remember the importance of friendships in your life.
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss a holiday again!